Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 16 Oct 2013 17:32 #32584

• Habernigvideo
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
That toaster demo brings back memories. In high school we used mostly the 1.0 until I think my senior year we got the 2.0, I used the clips of the earth and the sun from the demo in a video for science class. At one point I was able to to go to a trade show to see a demo of the VT 4000 and I got to meet Kiki Stockhammer. It was awesome.
The topic has been locked.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 16 Oct 2013 17:36 #32585

• cseeman
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 60

Disproportionate Pictures wrote: That's a slippery slope. If someone buys a base-model MacPro, why would they be any more entitled to free FCPX than someone who spends more money on a maxed out 15" rMPB or iMac?

Apple just isn't going to make free software exclusive to a single computer. I just can't imagine it.

I'm jogging my ancient memory neuron transmitters but wasn't it only the MacMini and, shortly thereafter, the original AppleTV, that had Front Row with the Remote control.

Of course they abandoned that and it's not quite the same thing but I can see Apple trying to motivate sales.
iMacs along with other Macs, include iMovie. MacPro is a "targeted" box to high end users.

Including FCPX on the new MacPro may encourage users of other NLEs to explore it (beyond a 30 day free trial) as well as other "high end" computer users to use it as they explore video.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 16 Oct 2013 17:47 #32586

• Disproportionate Pictures
  • Disproportionate Pictures's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
As far as I know Front Row was on every Mac- at least every Mac I had after it was introduced.

The problem is I don't see the combination affecting sales of either product. At the theoretical price point, you're not going to buy a $4000 MacPro just cause it comes with $299 software. And if you've got that kind of money, chances are you already have an NLE of choice (at least for the time being).

If either the MacPro OR FCPX are going to succeed, it's because they give users the experience and functionality they need in and of themselves.

That's my perspective anyway.

VERY interested to see what all this leads to. It's probably much less complex than most people think.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 16 Oct 2013 17:48 #32587

• daviddelreal
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6

cseeman wrote: ....wasn't it only the MacMini and, shortly thereafter, the original AppleTV, that had Front Row with the Remote control.

No, at the time every new Mac came with Front Row preinstalled. I had purchased a Power Mac, a Mac Mini and an iMac that year and they all had Front Row on them.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 16 Oct 2013 17:52 #32588

• Dawar
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
According to this tweet , next week should come a PRO BUNDLE PROMO with FCPX Third Party Plug-ins and Tools.
Food for thought...
Last edit: by Dawar.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 16 Oct 2013 17:55 #32589

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Dawar wrote: According to this tweet , next week should come a PRO BUNDLE PROMO with FCPX Third Party Plug-ins and Tools.
Food for thought...

Intriguing.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 16 Oct 2013 17:57 #32590

• daviddelreal
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Dawar wrote: According to this tweet , next week should come a PRO BUNDLE PROMO with FCPX Third Party Plug-ins and Tools.
Food for thought...

Well that changes everything...

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 16 Oct 2013 17:58 #32591

• cseeman
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 60

daviddelreal wrote:

cseeman wrote: ....wasn't it only the MacMini and, shortly thereafter, the original AppleTV, that had Front Row with the Remote control.

No, at the time every new Mac came with Front Row preinstalled. I had purchased a Power Mac, a Mac Mini and an iMac that year and they all had Front Row on them.

Front Row may have part of the OS but I believe the remote control only came with the Mini and AppleTV as I suspect Apple was trying to push the two as Media Center Hubs. I do believe that was machine specific. I do not think any laptop or iMac and certainly not the MacPro came with the Remote included. Granted this is hardware... but it was machine specific IIRC.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 16 Oct 2013 18:04 #32592

• daviddelreal
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

cseeman wrote:

daviddelreal wrote:

Front Row may have part of the OS but I believe the remote control only came with the Mini and AppleTV as I suspect Apple was trying to push the two as Media Center Hubs. I do believe that was machine specific. I do not think any laptop or iMac and certainly not the MacPro came with the Remote included. Granted this is hardware... but it was machine specific IIRC.

Correct about the Mac Pro (Power Mac at the time), however the iMac did come with a remote.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 16 Oct 2013 18:04 #32593

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

daviddelreal wrote: Well that changes everything...

Let's not go too far.

This is a promotion by 3rd party plugin makers. They know 10.1 is coming, and there'll be some press around it, and likely an influx of new users. Makes sense to have some individual sales or in this case a bundle of the most popular 3rd party apps.

Maybe X2Pro, SliceX, something from Intelligent Assistance, and maybe motionVFX.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 16 Oct 2013 18:14 #32594

• Soundwise
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 41
I thought the tweet was just a teaser for the Larry Jordan PowerUp 4K seminar.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 16 Oct 2013 18:46 #32596

• daviddelreal
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Soundwise wrote: I thought the tweet was just a teaser for the Larry Jordan PowerUp 4K seminar.

I think that's November 12th.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 18 Oct 2013 20:10 #32705

• davechap
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • I'm like a 900 page Harry Potter novel.
  • Thank you received: 19
Will FCPX 10.1 be free or paid?

The assumption that FCPX 10.1 will be a paid update is based on OS X being sold as a point upgrade. Many have pointed out that these OS X updates are actually called OS X Mountain Lion, OS X Lion, etc. This helps differentiate the names in your purchased history. You couldn't tell the difference between two Final Cut Pro links (if it were a paid update).

Someone pointed out that the license agreement pointed to a paid update, though. I'm thinking this license agreement was written in 2011 and doesn't reflect Apple's intent with the software. I read Aperture's agreement (which is currently on 3.4.5) and it states: "... If you purchased version 9.0 of the Apple Software, Apple may provide you for free any software upgrades or updates it might release (e.g. version 9.1 or 9.2) up to, but not including version 10.0 or the Apple Software."

Apple has recently changed it's license for FCPX and no longer states 10.0, 10.1 leading "... up to but not including 10.1." They now state: "... up to, but not including, the next major release of the Apple Software, for free." It does go on to state that "...upgrades and updates, if any, may not necessarily include all existing software features or new features that Apple releases for newer models of Apple-branded computers..."

Here's what I think...

Final Cut Pro 10.1 is still going to be VERSION 10 (not 11). It would be very confusing for the user experience of the current Mac App Store to sell you 10.1 after you bought 10.0 while listing them both as Final Cut Pro X.

I think 10.1 will be the next version of 10 and 10.0.9 customers will get the update. BUT, some features will only be available on the Mac Pro and potentially the next generation Macbook Pro. Perhaps there are features that need a Thunderbolt 2 port and 4k monitoring to actually make use of.

Does this sound crazy to anyone else?
Last edit: by davechap.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 18 Oct 2013 20:26 #32708

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Well certainly Apple can't promise the software to do things that your hardware won't allow.

Dual GPUs will open up a couple of options in that regard. And Thunderbolt 2 will allow for 4K displays.

Not sure why they would have changed "...up to but not including 10.1" to the more vague "...next major release".

It's all so exciting!

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 18 Oct 2013 21:02 #32709

• alex4D
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 245
As I said back on page 5

Apple have been selling maintenance releases for 20+ seat installations of Final Cut Pro X for a while:

http://store.apple.com/us_smb_78313/product/D6064Z/A/final-cut-pro-maintenance-licenses-20-seats-price-is-per-seat

If you have 40 or 50 copies of Final Cut and then spent $399.99 for three years of upgrades for each copy, you'd be angry if a major upgrade for Final Cut is free, so it is very likely that Apple will charge for this update.

The fact that they will have to make this upgrade worth as much as the whole app has been worth over the last 26 months is good news.

If they weren't charging full price for 10.1, we'd be getting a lot less. I for one would rather pay than get less features.

@Alex4D

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 18 Oct 2013 22:53 #32714

• NocoDave
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 122

I read Aperture's agreement (which is currently on 3.4.5) and it states: "... If you purchased version 9.0 of the Apple Software, Apple may provide you for free any software upgrades or updates it might release (e.g. version 9.1 or 9.2) up to, but not including version 10.0 or the Apple Software."

Apple has recently changed it's license for FCPX and no longer states 10.0, 10.1 leading "... up to but not including 10.1." They now state: "... up to, but not including, the next major release of the Apple Software, for free."

Like anyone else I have no idea where things are going, on initial reading what I get from this quote is that Apple have no intention of leaving the "X" brand (they have spent so long and so much money on) that it's gold to keep.

If you have 40 or 50 copies of Final Cut and then spent $399.99 for three years of upgrades for each copy, you'd be angry if a major upgrade for Final Cut is free, so it is very likely that Apple will charge for this update.

This is interesting, what direction they go may give a bit of insight as to where the previous money has been coming from.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 21 Oct 2013 01:40 #32768

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Well... things are quiet. So, let's add some lone nut speculation to the mix:

Michael N Sutton on twitter,

The new Final Cut is not X version 2 but rather a complete revamp. I will not be a ***** (naughty word deleted by me) follower but rather I will actually try it.

Am I on glue or did this guy's name come up way back before the initial launch?

Let's call it baseless hearsay and file it away for analysis after launch.

Let me add a couple more bits from his feed,

Tuesday you are going to see a few cool things from Apple. That is all I can say without getting taken out by Apple snipper team. Cheers!

In one tweet he seems to be saying that we're getting a new FCP rather than a new FCPX.
Last edit: by Disproportionate Pictures.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 21 Oct 2013 01:59 #32770

• sirdavidabraham
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Musician, Geek and Spinach lover.
  • Thank you received: 3
:woohoo: Monday is going to feel like 36 hours.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 21 Oct 2013 03:02 #32772

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1277
Michael N Sutton on twitter,
The new Final Cut is not X version 2 but rather a complete revamp. I will not be a pussy follower but rather I will actually try it.

Yep, a fellow trainer pointed that out. First, who ever said anything about a version "2"? Version 2, seriously? This guy is a nut job. He has no clue about anything. Unless his team is throwing him off? The team of shrinks caring form him at Shady Hills Sanitarium?

I'm sorry, but that guy is a retard. Anyone who has seen anything can NOT say anything, PERIOD. If someone says they have publicly, they're full of it.
Last edit: by BenB.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 21 Oct 2013 03:11 #32773

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
That's what we've all been talking about here for months, Ben. FCPX Version 2. whether it's actually called 10.1 or something else. It's the next major version of FCP.

That said, I don't give this guy any special weight. I just posted it for interest sake since it's been a slow couple of days.

We'll know soon enough if he's full of crap.

That said, I can't shake the feeling that this guy's name has come up before in relation to early FCPX news.