Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 07 Oct 2013 22:15 #32192

• Disproportionate Pictures
  • Disproportionate Pictures's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
Apple has just announced that it's 3rd quarter earnings call will be on Tuesday October 28th.

It's a bit later than the mid-Month that many people prognosticated.

Apple has announced the release date of the last two OSX updates during an earnings call.

Whether this means that Mavericks and any iPad/Mac events will be later (in November) is impossible to say. Typically Apple would want to get it's consumer line refreshed early enough to maximize 4th quarter holiday sales- in the past that's meant no major announcements any later than October.

Since Macs aren't typically "Christmas gifts", I think they're probably exempt from this guideline. But I'd be pretty surprised if Apple waited until early Nov to refresh iPads.

While we could still see an event preceding this call, my overall impression is that this might mean that things aren't going to arrive quite as early we'd hoped this month.
Last edit: by Disproportionate Pictures.
The topic has been locked.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 08 Oct 2013 00:38 #32193

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Posting followup message cause I was crazy- I thought the earnings call had preceded the iPad Event.

Last year this is how things played out-

October 16th- Apple Event Invites went out.
October 23rd- iPadMini Event [with iPad 4th Gen, MacMini, 13" rMBP, and iMac] and FCPX 10.0.6
October 25th- Apple Q4 Earnings Call

So at this point I see things happing much the same way this year.

Next Tuesday [15th] invites go out for October Event.
October 22nd- Event for iPads, Macs, Mavericks and any software/surprises; and possibly FCPX 10.1
October 28th- Earnings Call

Maybe Mavericks is released on the same day as the Event. Maybe the day after the Earnings Call.

Unless there's any truth to this MacPro focused event in November (which I doubt), I think this is the best guess for what we'll see.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 08 Oct 2013 02:20 #32195

• Julian
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 32
This feels like Christmas did when I was a kid. I want a new MacPro, Mavericks, and a nice FCPX update/upgrade.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 08 Oct 2013 03:58 #32201

• plysat
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 67
"This feels like Christmas did when I was a kid."

Yeah, but at least then you knew things would appear on the 25th. This is, clearly, a moving target... :-)
Can't sleep? Try this: fcpxpert.net ;-)

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 08 Oct 2013 15:31 #32227

• Darren Roark
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 57
"Since Macs aren't typically "Christmas gifts", I think they're probably exempt from this guideline. But I'd be pretty surprised if Apple waited until early Nov to refresh iPads."

I have outfitted several production companies with in house edit bays. Most of them waited until the end of the year for tax purposes to make the purchase. Then I would get everything set up during the holiday break. I think the strategy of them announcing it last summer was to plant the seed so companies could plan their end of the year spending.

As for that iPad refresh last year, I bought an iPad 3 the first day it was out. I was certain I would be able to have the smug satisfaction of having the best for a year. No, five months later they came out with the much faster 4. CURSES!!!!! DAMN YOU APPLE!!! (I'm shaking my fist at the sky for dramatic effect.)

Now that it has been two years since Steve passed away, I think it's anyone's guess how to predict without leaks.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 08 Oct 2013 21:23 #32235

• Chazfest
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Looks like we could be all set for an announcement 2 weeks today :)

"...People familiar with Apple's plans tell AllThingsD that the company will hold its next invitation-only event on Tuesday October 22. The focal point of the gathering will be the latest updates to the company’s iPad line, but the new Mac Pro and OS X Mavericks will likely get some stage time as well, I'm told."

www.macrumors.com/2013/10/08/apple-ipad-...place-on-october-22/

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 09 Oct 2013 00:56 #32240

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Hey lookit that! I called it at the top of the topic! Nice to be right occasionally...

And the infallible Jim Dalrymple of THELOOP has confirmed the date of the event.

2 weeks! The only questions are if the MacPro will be launched that day or announced for pre-order. If 10.1 is in fact due to come out within 24hrs of the MacPro- will that be the 22nd or the day they start shipping...?

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 09 Oct 2013 13:28 #32285

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Hmmm.... how to I embed a tweet in the forum? Oh well, here it is as a quote from Scott Simmons,

If new MacPro & #fcpx 10.1 do launch @ this Oct event there will be some happy people. There's one 10.1 change alone that's huge for FCPX

At least one! :whistle:

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 09 Oct 2013 13:48 #32288

• Tom Wolsky
  • Thank you received: 742
Disclosing you have knowledge of pre-release software is a violation of the Apple NDA.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 09 Oct 2013 13:55 #32290

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I'm not under NDA, and I wouldn't dream of getting anyone in trouble. I'll get no more specific than that. Even after the release. As for Scott- if he posts a tweet publicly its fair game to repost here.

I just think it's nice for people here to know there's some reasons be be excited.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 09 Oct 2013 14:06 #32293

• Gudgefilm
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Looks like you may have nailed it. Nice call.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 09 Oct 2013 14:25 #32295

• ronny courtens
  • Thank you received: 896
If new MacPro & #fcpx 10.1 do launch @ this Oct event there will be some happy people. There's one 10.1 change alone that's huge for FCPX

Tracks!! :evil:

- Ronny

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 09 Oct 2013 14:27 #32296

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More from Scott, when someone asks about what he means...

...there will be tons of tweets, blogs, articles & whatnot about it. It'll be 2nd coming for some, antichrist for others #fcpx

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 09 Oct 2013 14:29 #32297

• ronny courtens
  • Thank you received: 896
It'll be 2nd coming for some, antichrist for others

Well, that's nothing new...

- Ronny

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 09 Oct 2013 15:14 #32301

• plysat
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

ronny courtens wrote: It'll be 2nd coming for some, antichrist for others

Well, that's nothing new...

- Ronny

LOL. Yep. Also Scott, whoever he is needs, to STFU. :-) What if nothing "huge" comes out? It just leaves people with unmet expectations. I'm excited anyway, and vague tweets just frustrate me. ;-)

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 09 Oct 2013 15:22 #32303

• tpayton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 131
The Apple folk have been diligently working on this release for a year since 10.0.6, the last feature release. 0.7, 0.8, and 0.9 were bug fixes.

Of course it won't meet all expectations, but just judging by the time they have spent, it seems logical to conclude that it will be significant.

I for one am glad for the delay. I've been saving $300 a week for a new Mac Pro. The longer it takes it more I can afford ;)

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 09 Oct 2013 16:48 #32315

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

plysat wrote: LOL. Yep. Also Scott, whoever he is needs, to STFU. :-) What if nothing "huge" comes out? It just leaves people with unmet expectations. I'm excited anyway, and vague tweets just frustrate me. ;-)

Scott is pretty well placed and I find him a fair reviewer of the software. He has his problems with it- but if you follow him on twitter he has equally negative/positive things to say about AVID and Pr as well.

Scott writes for ProVideoCoalition, where he reviews new versions of all 3 major NLEs. Scott is also one of the guys who gets to meet with Apple reps annually at NAB.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 09 Oct 2013 17:29 #32318

• plysat
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
"Scott is also one of the guys who gets to meet with Apple reps annually at NAB."

Not anymore. LOL just kidding…

"Scott is pretty well placed and I find him a fair reviewer of the software. "

I'm sure he is. But having signed NDA's in the past, I find it annoying when people "tease" things that they probably shouldn't. To me, it's just an attempt to puff yourself up. "look at me! I have access to something you don't!". I'm sure there are a plenty of people who have seen the next version of X, or other unreleased SW from any vendor. Somehow they manage to keep it to themselves. That's not to say I don't follow the rumor mill, but it still bugs me. ;-)

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 09 Oct 2013 21:36 #32326

• grailz
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • If you believe you can or can't, you are right!
  • Thank you received: 20

plysat wrote: "Scott is also one of the guys who gets to meet with Apple reps annually at NAB."

Not anymore. LOL just kidding…

"Scott is pretty well placed and I find him a fair reviewer of the software. "

I'm sure he is. But having signed NDA's in the past, I find it annoying when people "tease" things that they probably shouldn't. To me, it's just an attempt to puff yourself up. "look at me! I have access to something you don't!". I'm sure there are a plenty of people who have seen the next version of X, or other unreleased SW from any vendor. Somehow they manage to keep it to themselves. That's not to say I don't follow the rumor mill, but it still bugs me. ;-)

Are you this way about film reviews as well?

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 09 Oct 2013 22:14 #32328

• plysat
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
"Are you this way about film reviews as well?"

lol touché. :-) However, films are generally reviewed *when they're done.*

I can tell you unequivocally that studios do not want their films reviewed from the first or second cut. For instance, I cut trailers, so I see unreleased, big 6 studio films all the time, from dailies all the way to finished versions. And I say that not to try and be all fancy, it's a job man... , but to say there's no way in hell I'll tell anyone anything about them. And I'd think anyone else in my position who did was a fool. So actually... yes. ;-)
Last edit: by plysat.