That's gotta be something :)

Well the sales on iPhones and iPads. ;)
The topic has been locked.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 15 Oct 2013 19:07 #32525

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1277
New 2013 Mac Pros may not ship right away, but have a shipping date announced. Just speculation. Here's a rumor about their manufacturing. I take it all with a grain of salt.

www.macrumors.com/2013/10/15/flextronics...-likely-new-mac-pro/

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 15 Oct 2013 19:15 #32526

• Disproportionate Pictures
  • Disproportionate Pictures's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
At this point what I'm all I'm betting on is solid MacPro pricing and availability for next Tuesday.

With Mavericks prob not due to launch until at least a few days after the event- I don't think we'll see anything FCPX wise. Unless there's a tease of new interface on a MacPro image.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 16 Oct 2013 01:50 #32542

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
In support of a relatively near term launch for Mavericks, Apple has asked developers to start submitting OSX 10.9 apps.

appleinsider.com/articles/13/10/15/apple...reparation-of-launch

This can only mean the launch is really close. Either next week or by the end of the month.

Other than timing-wise, I'm beginning to wonder if my crazy theory about 10.1 being Mavericks exclusive might not be so crazy.

Consider Logic Pro X, which launched on the appStore July 16th. System requirements were 10.8.4- an OSX update which was released just over a month before on June 4th.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 16 Oct 2013 04:26 #32549

• davechap
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • I'm like a 900 page Harry Potter novel.
  • Thank you received: 19
I'm late to the FREE or PAID update to FCPX 10.1, but I wanted to point out a few things with the App Store.

Final Cut Pro X isn't an incremental version number (neither is Photoshop CC, After Effects CC, etc). When a new app is launched in the App Store, it's accompanied by a new version number and a new icon. Final Cut Pro X version 10.1 will probably maintain the same app icon. With that line of thinking, it will be all but impossible to purchase 10.1 and visually distinguish it from 10.0.9 in your purchases tab.

I've been assuming 10.1 would be a paid upgrade all along, but now I'm not so sure. Perhaps FCPX (and other pro apps) will be included with the new Mac Pro also. Apple seems to be giving their software away to promote new hardware anyways. If 10.1 is a free upgrade for current owners, I'm sure we will all have purchased new hardware by the time 10.2 is released. It's now more marketing and behavioral than what we think the value should be on the software.

I may be completely wrong come next week, though.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 16 Oct 2013 06:31 #32555

• NocoDave
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 122

In support of a relatively near term launch for Mavericks, Apple has asked developers to start submitting OSX 10.9 apps.

I'd been wondering if Apple might do a last minute change of rules on the App Store, but if they were going to this would have been the ideal time to do it. So it looks like they won't.
Last edit: by NocoDave. Reason: typo

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 16 Oct 2013 14:39 #32566

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Yeah, I really thing paid upgrades would have come as a WWDC announcement. It's a big deal for developers if Apple finally brings it to the table. Very little chance of seeing it now until next June.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 16 Oct 2013 15:02 #32568

• tpayton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 131
Good point about the icon. However Logic Pro X icon didn't change. But if I recall the FCP icon changed subtly over the years but I can't find any images of it. I grabbed this round flat thing that came with FCP 1.2 back in 1999 (speaking of 1999, the TV show "Space 1999" from the 70's was just released on iTunes. Some great nostalgia).

Okay I finally found a DVD player. Check out what came with FCP 1.0. Commotion, and Cinema 4D

And of course the infomous "lindy hop" Tutorial, in glorious 320x240 photo-jpeg.

- T.
Attachments:

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 16 Oct 2013 15:36 #32571

• davechap
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • I'm like a 900 page Harry Potter novel.
  • Thank you received: 19
Haha! I completely forgot about that Lindy Hop lesson! It came with Final Cut Pro 4 for me.

About the icon...
The Logic Pro and the Logic Pro X icons were slightly different. Logic Pro X lost the perspective tilt, the signature and simplified some of the details and added a new border.

And the name...
Logic Pro was replaced with Logic Pro X. I can easily see the difference between Logic Pro and Logic Pro X in my purchased tab in the App Store.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 16 Oct 2013 16:22 #32572

• tpayton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Good points on the icon. It might be in their best interest to modify it a bit, however I'm still thinking that it will be paid upgrade. I'm also wagering that it might drop support for 2006 MacPros, i.e. require Mountain Lion which those machines can't run.

Back to more important matters. The Lindy Hop. I just pulled in the tutorial footage from FCP 3, and what stuck me as significant is the quality of the video. DV Compression, super blocky. That was high quality prosumer video back in 2001, it is night and day compared to what we are shooting today. The blue screen footage especially. there was so little resolution. It reminds me what incredible tools we have today.

Attachments:
Last edit: by tpayton.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 16 Oct 2013 16:25 #32573

• pollux
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
I still believe there's 50% chance the next update will be free. Back to the v.4 days the v4.5 update was quite significant and it was free for the v.4 owners

I will be okay to pay if the new version is significantly better, of course I wouldn't mind free :P :D

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 16 Oct 2013 16:26 #32574

• pollux
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7

tpayton wrote: ....

Back to more important matters. The Lindy Hop.

Eww, you brought me back those "horrible memories" B)
Last edit: by pollux.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 16 Oct 2013 16:30 #32576

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
This doesn't make me feel quite as old as the intense nostalgia I get from this 1992 VideoToaster demo!

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 16 Oct 2013 16:47 #32577

• cseeman
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 60

pollux wrote: I still believe there's 50% chance the next update will be free. Back to the v.4 days the v4.5 update was quite significant and it was free for the v.4 owners

I will be okay to pay if the new version is significantly better, of course I wouldn't mind free :P :D

And I still thin there's a chance it will be included Free with the new Mac Pros. Just as iLife and now iWork (on iOS) are free to new purchases, I think FCPX may be free with Mac Pro purchases. I think Apple is not only motivated to push Mac Pro sales, they are motivated to push FCPX which will in turn push future Mac sales and avoid the risk of moving platforms presented by Avid and Premiere Pro.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 16 Oct 2013 17:09 #32578

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
That's a slippery slope. If someone buys a base-model MacPro, why would they be any more entitled to free FCPX than someone who spends more money on a maxed out 15" rMPB or iMac?

Apple just isn't going to make free software exclusive to a single computer. I just can't imagine it.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 16 Oct 2013 17:10 #32579

• tpayton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Back to nostalgia:

I stand corrected about the DV footage. Almost forgot that back in 2002 everything was destined for CRT which makes everything look fantastic, especially on a small screen. Fired up the old Sony, which is being fed by my MXO2 in FCPX, and that DV footage looks great. (granted my CRT is on it's last legs and emits a hum and has some odd horizontal lines. Tried to get it repaired but the guy refused to fix it, just telling me to buy a replacement on ebay.)

And one of the images from the FCP 3 tutorial was in "QuickDraw" format, which was created back in 1987.

Crazy how quickly things have progressed. We're now making feature films in our bedrooms.
Attachments:

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 16 Oct 2013 17:14 #32580

• tpayton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
That VideoToaster VO has to be of the creepiest things I have heard in a long while. He is talking to himself. I'm glad that fad is long past. ;)

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 16 Oct 2013 17:16 #32581

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
You have no idea how many times I've see that thing. I interned at a company that sold VTs, and in the front hall that video was on loop for at least a couple of years.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 16 Oct 2013 17:22 #32582

• tpayton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Disproportionate Pictures wrote: You have no idea how many times I've see that thing. I interned at a company that sold VTs, and in the front hall that video was on loop for at least a couple of years.

And hence you took up smoking.