Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 09 Oct 2013 22:40 #32329

• Chazfest
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Lol, if they do announce FCPX 10.1 on the 22nd, then rest assured that it's finished. Apple aren't still cramming in last minute tweaks to the code 2 weeks before they announce it. And if they are, it's the most minor of under the good tweaks and polishes. This guy clearly isn't trying to break any NDAs in my eyes, he's just saying "hey, it's gonna be a big update. Love it or hate it, it's not a minor update this time". Personally, I welcome this kind of insight. He's spoiling nothing for any of us. Let's stay upbeat :) it's gonna be ace, I can feel it ;)
The topic has been locked.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 09 Oct 2013 23:15 #32331

• ronny courtens
  • Thank you received: 896
Since Apple has been working on this feature update for almost a year now you don't really need to have much insight to presume it's going to be a huge one :whistle:

And that some people are going to like it and others won't... any fool can tell you this, we're talking about FCPX.

So I agree this guy is not saying anything new. We will see it when it comes, and I'm looking forward to it.

- Ronny

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 09 Oct 2013 23:50 #32332

• cseeman
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 60

ronny courtens wrote: Since Apple has been working on this feature update for almost a year now you don't really need to have much insight to presume it's going to be a huge one :whistle:

And that some people are going to like it and others won't... any fool can tell you this, we're talking about FCPX.

So I agree this guy is not saying anything new. We will see it when it comes, and I'm looking forward to it.

- Ronny

But I hope they don't take a feature I like and transform it into something I don't like.
Please no tracks!

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 10 Oct 2013 00:54 #32337

• Disproportionate Pictures
  • Disproportionate Pictures's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
Well, that's I think what many of us would hope- that Apple sticks to their guns on some of the core choices they've made- but essentially fill the gaps that make them seem less workable. Most obviously for me, not being able to organize elements by Role in the timeline.

where Apple has been able to implement an whole solution (multi cam, keying, paste attributes) the results have been great.

But perhaps some ideas didn't pan out, like separated Project/Event libraries, or tabs for timelines. I'm sure we can all think of ways the software could improve.

But let's just hope that they stay committed to making a better X, and not bending to the will of those who don't like the core ideas that make the program different and potentially more powerful, and want a better FCP7.

Stay the course!

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 10 Oct 2013 04:41 #32338

• jakekeller
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Tracks!! :evil:

- Ronny

Nooooooo! :ohmy: Haha I know this was a joke, or at least hope it was, but that would be crazy if it actually happened. By adding tracks I think Apple tosses out some meaning to the magnetic timeline. Sure, every track will still apply to the paradigm in order to maintain sync across the board, but I always thought of my timeline in X as something organic. Something that doesn't make me say "this overwrites to track 1, *edit*, *change patch panel*, then this clip inserts to track 2". It's what Mike addressed about working on that NBC show George to the Rescue. He enjoyed the simplicity and not having think about where each clip was going to go. Don't get me wrong, I love the technicality behind patching tracks and directing clips to the timeline, but the new paradigm will feel broken if tracks are added :silly:

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 10 Oct 2013 09:21 #32345

• jjsanderson
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28

ronny courtens wrote: Tracks!! :evil:

- Ronny

Heh. Nice one.

I'm very much hoping for an extension of the use of Roles and clip tags. At the moment, the latter are used for clip organisation in the Event but barely in the Project, and I want to see the timeline index behave more like a submix/clip metadata selector.

Specifically, I want to be able to drop grades, effects or audio treatments on whole groups of clips, where those groups are defined by Role or clip tags. So: "INT-LOC#1" has an overall white balance dropped on it, and any clip in the project I subsequently assign to that group inherits that effect. Change the effect parameters, and all tagged clips are affected.

The Roles stuff feels so unfinished in 10.0.9, it certainly looks like this is where they're heading. I just hope it's now done!

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 10 Oct 2013 09:59 #32348

• ronny courtens
Specifically, I want to be able to drop grades, effects or audio treatments on whole groups of clips, where those groups are defined by Role or clip tags.

Now that would be magic. Even better than... tracks :evil: hahaha.

- Ronny
Last edit: by ronny courtens.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 10 Oct 2013 10:06 #32349

• alex4D
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 245
Having Role-based, Keyword-based and metadata tag-based effect application sounds 'node-y' - like desktop publishing's hierarchical style sheets

Perhaps individual effect presets could also be assigned roles, so some exports could include or not include whole sets of effects.

@Alex4D

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 10 Oct 2013 10:14 #32350

• jjsanderson
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28

alex4D wrote: Having Role-based, Keyword-based and metadata tag-based effect application sounds 'node-y' - like desktop publishing's hierarchical style sheets

Perhaps individual effect presets could also be assigned roles, so some exports could include or not include whole sets of effects.

@Alex4D

**swoon** Rôles as some sort of track/node hybrid could be fantastic, if the designers can find an interface for it.

I (happily) don't have the different-versions-for-different-clients-or-whatever problem: no export dance for me. But I can see the utility of role-based export. For some people that would be amazing, I'm sure.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 11 Oct 2013 03:04 #32382

• jakekeller
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Haha this thread is incredible!

Node-based stuff might be the biggest surprise of all since Shake was discontinued and Autodesk has been in heavy competition with everyone as far as Smoke goes. I know I know, it's a totally different beast. BUT. What if Motion gets a complete and total overhaul.. Something we didn't even see coming at all. No, now were competing with Nuke and that's nuts. Ah! I still think something will happen to Motion in the future, but that's for a different thread. Everything that were saying could point to an all-in-one full suite X, kinda like how Color and Soundtrack merged with it. You'll never leave X and do all your work there. 3D workflow anyone? ;)

Does anyone have records of things that Apple has patented in the past that points to aspects of this update? I remember them releasing something UI specific before X came out. Also I'm late to this entire thread so it may have been earlier haha.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 11 Oct 2013 11:20 #32390

• Scrubelicious
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 110

jakekeller wrote: Haha this thread is incredible!

Node-based stuff might be the biggest surprise of all since Shake was discontinued and Autodesk has been in heavy competition with everyone as far as Smoke goes. I know I know, it's a totally different beast. BUT. What if Motion gets a complete and total overhaul.. Something we didn't even see coming at all. No, now were competing with Nuke and that's nuts. Ah! I still think something will happen to Motion in the future, but that's for a different thread. Everything that were saying could point to an all-in-one full suite X, kinda like how Color and Soundtrack merged with it. You'll never leave X and do all your work there. 3D workflow anyone? ;)

Does anyone have records of things that Apple has patented in the past that points to aspects of this update? I remember them releasing something UI specific before X came out. Also I'm late to this entire thread so it may have been earlier haha.

Not going to happen Motion will stay in the shadows of After Effects.
We will probably see iWatch at the next Event. ;)

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 11 Oct 2013 11:44 #32391

• robertdee
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
I mentioned the hope for roles being used in a kind of node form earlier as it seems like the logical extension of their capabilities. Colour used a similar node layout for grading several similar shots which was very handly. I'd also like to see Motion fully integrated with FCPX. So far from Shake I can only see retiming, motion tracking and stabilising being retooled. From Shake, what I'd really like to see is painting between frames, a good 3D warp tool and the complexity of its matte creation ported across (whether to FCPX or Motion) as that was very useful.
Last edit: by robertdee.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 11 Oct 2013 12:04 #32393

• ronny courtens
I simply adore nodes. Been working with node-based apps such as Shake, Nuke and Flame for a part of my digital life, and nodes are really powerful. That's one of the many reasons why while making the complete switch to FCPX for editing we also have dumped AE to set up a new compositing workflow with Smoke 2013. No regrets whatsoever. The complete FCPX timeline opens intact in Smoke and just by clicking on a clip in the timeline you access some of the most advanced compositing tools including the node-based ConnectFX, all this in a TRUE 3D environment.

I agree there's little chance that Motion will get nodes. Just like AE it will probably remain a simple layer-based compositing tool. But if Apple can create a truly seamless integration between FCPX and Motion this combination will be a winner for basic to intermediate level compositing and finishing, because Motion has the huge advantage that it can handle quite complex layers in realtime on any decent GPU accelerated machine. I'm really looking forward to see it run on the new MP.

- Ronny

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 11 Oct 2013 16:19 #32399

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
As interesting as I think nodes are, I personally don't believe we'll see them come back to Apple apps. The two apps that had them (Shake and Color) weren't designed by Apple but were rather 3rd party acquisitions. They were never redesigned under Apple's roof. I guess Apple has since dropped or pilfered what they wanted for the remaining software offerings.

It's hard to say where Apple sees Motion going. Perhaps Apple is fine with it as a "AE Light"- I think they dropped Shake because they realized they just couldn't compete in the high end compositing/effects software game against guys like The Foundry. Perhaps the same reason they EOL'd Color- Blackmagic has made it so easy to roundtrip with Resolve, and made the software either Free or very reasonably priced.

Will we see a new Motion with the FCP 10.1 update? There's a separate Motion team working in parallel- so if there is a new synergy between FCPX and Motion, then it would certainly make sense to update them both together. If details on FCPX are scarce, then Motion6/X is absolutely opaque!

One other thing- Larry Jordan has announced a FCPX 4K seminar for November 12th. If both FCPX and the new MacPro aren't out by then I'll eat a proverbial hat.

www.larryjordan.biz/powerup-4k-in-fcpx/?.../10&utm_medium=email

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 11 Oct 2013 18:35 #32403

• Scrubelicious
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 110
If Apple would implement Nodes in Motion the right way, and adding the Paint tools from Shake then Motion could get a spotlight on it.

We already have one application form Apple that has Nodes... Final Cut Pro X. ;)
The clips in the timeline is Node editing. :woohoo:

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 11 Oct 2013 18:37 #32404

• Julian
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 32
I have a friend who teaches the pro labs at Apple stores and he told me that he had put together a great lab for motion, but Apple said to hold off on it. He doesn't think it will be a major update to motion since it was just updated, but I mean, it was just updated at the same time as FCPX so that's meaningless. But I do think that if Apple really wants to show off the power of the new MacPro, then an updated of motion will be the app to do it since it is more of a resource hog than FCPX.

Someone earlier mentioned FCPX patents so I did a search for them and found this great article . It really doesn't have anything to with with patents, but it does a great job of telling the FCPX story from a reasonable persons standpoint and rips into the FCPX and MacPro haters really well. It's a good read and got me even more excited about 10.1.

I have a $100 App store gift card sitting in my desk for when I have to upgrade to the new FCPX and Mavericks. I don't think I've ever been more excited to spend money than I am right now on this new Apple stuff. Let's hope that this version of FCPX really throws the NLE industry on its head... But in our favor this time.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 11 Oct 2013 18:38 #32405

• Chazfest
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
As far as I know, Nuke's success was largely down thanks to Apple's decision to cease development for Shake, and to eventually kill it all together. The Foundry bought the code from DD in 2007, whereas Apple had already EOL'd Shake the year before. It's a shame, because Apple had the composting wod eating out of the palm of their hand up until then. So much so, that many post houses sti run custom versions of the Shake code in some form even now.
That said, as a compositor myself, I'm glad The Foundry are running Nuke in the way that they are. They've developed it so well, and continue to listen to the client base and tweak/introduce features accordingly.

Similarly to Shake's success, Color held it's own against Resolve and others, I really don't think it's got anything to do with Apple's confidence in the software, but more to do with how niche a product Shake and Color were.
As a Nuke user, part of me would love a node based workflow in Motion, but to be honest, Motion's strongest line of work is for motion graphics imho. And nodes come in to their with high end composting, but can be unnecessarily clumsy when producing motion graphics. So maybe it's a good thing that we'll likely never see nodes in Motion. Also, in making FCPX/Motion more accessible to the masses, nodes really wouldn't be the way to go for most :P much as I love em ;)

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 15 Oct 2013 13:29 #32517

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Hey All. Today's dose of rumour.

If Apple holds to course, we should see the invite today for next Tuesday's media event.

Also doing the rounds today is a rumour about when the announced products will ship. Here's a link to the story on 9to5mac-

9to5mac.com/2013/10/15/report-new-macboo...-oct-mac-pro-15-nov/

basically it proposes that refreshed MacBookPros will be available pretty much immediately, iPads a week later, and the MacPro shipping mid-November.

I've consistently given it about a 50/50 odds as to whether Apple will have the MacPro ready to ship on the 22nd, or just announce pricing details and preorder/shipping dates.

The big question for all of us is of course how this affects the release date for 10.1. IF 10.1 is not Mavericks dependant, then they could still release it next Tuesday. If it is, then of course we'll have to wait on that, and if Apple wants to time the release of FCPX to the MacPro, then we could have another month to wait if this report is correct.

Still, I'll be pretty happy if we get detailed specs/pricing/ship date for the new MacPro. That would hold me over for a couple weeks.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 15 Oct 2013 14:19 #32518

• cseeman
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 60

Disproportionate Pictures wrote: ...
The big question for all of us is of course how this affects the release date for 10.1. IF 10.1 is not Mavericks dependant, then they could still release it next Tuesday. If it is, then of course we'll have to wait on that,

I'd venture that Mavericks will be released next Tuesday as well as part of the MBP updates.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 15 Oct 2013 16:07 #32519

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Last edit: by Disproportionate Pictures.